Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Banana Loaf Joy

Not much makes me happier than something yummy from the oven. I love baking, but have rarely ventured into cakes - I usually do bread, cinnamon rolls, muffins, or quickbreads. One of these days I will tackle cakes. I am not crazy about icing (I know, that's nuts, right?), although I do love a good moist cake. One day!

For today, though, I'm making a Banana Pecan Loaf from The Complete Canadian Living Baking Book. My hubby loves bananas, but sometimes doesn't finish the bunch before they start to get those brown spots. When that happens, I freeze them. But here's my tip - when freezing bananas, take a second to peel and slice the bananas into your freezer bag or container before sticking them in the freezer. It makes using them later so much easier, you don't have to deal with a brown skin that falls to pieces and a mushy, slippery banana. I usually pack 2-3 bananas, sliced, together in one bag - enough for any of my banana muffin or loaf recipes. Then I can just pull it out when I get up in the morning and leave it in the sink to thaw. By mid-morning the bananas are thawed and ready to go!

Oh, by the way - the Spicy Pickled Beans (from Recipezaar) and Spicy Pickled Beets (from my Small Batch Preserves cookbook) are a hit! Hubby was unsure about the beans, not being a big fan of beans, but one bite of these hot and pickly morsels had him hooked.

Okay, enough foodie rambling. Here are some giveaways for today!

For baby:
For anyone:
  • Win some Crunchy Clean laundry detergent at Your Mama Reviews. It comes in great scents like Buttercream Cupcake! Mmm. Ends August 18th.
  • Win a Hain Celestial healthy foods pack at MomFuse! Ends August 14th.
  • I know you've been seeing this out there in blogland today - win a pair of Ugg boots at Whooga Boots by posting their badge on your blog. I hear they're comfy! ugg boots

1 comment:

  1. Yes, and banana loaf smells so good when it is in the oven. I hope you enjoyed yours. If you are looking for an amazingly moist recipe, try my best-ever banana bread!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, why not leave a comment? I'd love to hear what you think. If you're entering a giveaway, be sure to leave your email address if it's not set to public in your profile!