Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sewing machine blues

My sewing machine that my grandmother passed on to me, an old beast of a Singer from the 1960's, has finally given up the ghost. I took it in for repairs and the parts are no longer available. This hard-working machine is now a very heavy piece of garbage (doesn't that suck?).

So I'm in the market for a new sewing machine. And I have a feeling I might get one for Christmas, if I can narrow it down to one or two likely candidates.

I would love to hear about it if any of you have a sewing machine you love (or hate), and what features are must haves. I do some quilting, some clothing, some things for the home like drapes, that sort of thing. I'm not an every-day sewer, but I do enjoy it and am really looking forward to getting a machine that I don't have to fight with over tension (!!).

Not least because I have some really cute wall hangings that are half-finished and I'd really love to get those done and delivered to my best friend's gorgeous daughter's nursery! They're meant to go with this quilt.

Brand recommendations, features, any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I got a singer touch and sew 2 years ago right before I got pregnant. I knew I wanted to make my own baby bedding (pictures on my blog).

    I have used it a lot in the 2 years I've had it and have never had any trouble with it. It has plenty of decorative type stitchings as well, but I haven't really used any of those. I think it was just under $200.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I've heard that nowadays Singer is the worst possible brand you could buy. The quality (and customer service) has gone way downhill over the past few decades, as documented by the numerous negative reviews on product review sites and feedback from people I know personally who have purchased one (including my mom). I recently bought a sewing machine and settled on a basic Kenmore model. I mainly use it for simple tasks like hemming and so far have no complaints. So I would recommend that brand in general, but it depends on the features you want. If you are looking for a really fancy sewing machine, I hear Baby Lock are quite good, but also rather expensive..

    ReplyDelete

Hey, why not leave a comment? I'd love to hear what you think. If you're entering a giveaway, be sure to leave your email address if it's not set to public in your profile!