Monday, March 25, 2013

15 minute Homemade "Skor" Bars!

First, a great recipe :) I got this one from my mum. I have no idea where she got it. I made these today, seriously, in 15 minutes including clean-up. They take a while to set in the fridge but are so yummy for so little effort.

Homemade Skor Bars

24 saltine crackers (salted)
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 13x9" baking pan with parchment paper or foil, and lay the crackers out in a single layer, touching. I find 6 rows of 4 is about perfect.

Melt the butter with the brown sugar in a sauce pan, stirring until smooth. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Then pour it over the crackers and even it out. Bake for 5 minutes.

Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top and pop it back in the oven for 2-3 minutes, just long enough to melt the chips. Use a spatula to spread out the chocolate evenly.

Stick it in the fridge or freezer to chill until set. Cut into 1" pieces  (or bigger, but they are really quite sweet and not exactly good for you, so a tiny indulgence is just about perfect).

These store in the fridge, and freeze exceptionally. They're great little treats, and also good for including in Christmas tins or other gifty occasions.
 _____

I've been so exhausted with our emotional, challenging, charming and affectionate two-year-old, this pregnancy, and coming down with every cold that crosses my path at various play groups. Mia's still not sleeping through the night... we are back to usually two wakings a night. We're working on potty training as well. Is there a stronger word than exhausted?

I've written about a hundred posts in the last month or so, all in my head in the middle of the night. So here are the topics I've been thinking on. Let me know if you want me to expand on any of these and I'll see what I can do.
  • divorce, and the difference between a perception of a relationship and the reality of one. I sometimes think about my previous marriage and realized that I am a little bitter about the way people viewed the end of that. I have never really shared my perspective on it, and while I hate holding a grudge, it does bother me that people seem to make assumptions about what happened without knowing the whole story. Anyway. That's been on my mind. And maybe is way too personal to write about in such a public place.
  • the second pregnancy and how it differs from the first. Boy, is it different. For lots of reasons. And I think that's kind of interesting, and unexpected (to me). 
  • circumcision. A whole world of debate. Everyone has an opinion on it!
  • potty training. But then, everyone writes about that, don't they?
  • renovations. yes, they continue, in a different way - we've just had to replace the roof. That's kind of an interesting story, but perhaps not one I can get into entirely, as we're in litigation over it. But I also never did post after photos of the kitchen and bathroom renovations, which are (thankfully) complete - and that's a whole other story!
  • the world of secondhand shopping and how the internet keeps changing it. Things are so different from when I used to shop 'vintage' as a teenager. Okay, that was (ahem) 20 years ago, but I keep coming across new ways to find what I need for cheap, and that's cool. 
  • and, some recipes for quick and yummy dinners
Well, I can't remember the rest. Seems like every night after Mia wakes up at 3am it takes me a while to get back to sleep and I'm writing essays in my head. And I guess I've forgotten a lot of them.

2 comments:

  1. I vote for divorce, second pregnancy, circumcision and renovations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) If I can get my act together enough to carve out an hour or so here and there, I will start posting more!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, why not leave a comment? I'd love to hear what you think. If you're entering a giveaway, be sure to leave your email address if it's not set to public in your profile!