Quick and Easy Quinoa
1 cup quinoa (about 2 cups cooked)
1 can black beans, drained
1 large tomato, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1 can corn, drained (or use frozen, or leave out)
1/2 cup cubed cheddar cheese
1/2 cup salsa (as mild or hot, chunky or smooth as you like it)
1/2 cup sour cream (go on, use the 14% stuff... it tastes so much better!)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika (if you feel like it)
Cook the quinoa as directed on the package (I use my rice cooker, one of my favourite kitchen tools! 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water).
Mix the remaining ingredients in a big bowl. Add the quinoa when it's cooked. Serve warm.
- Great as a meal on its own (a big bowl), or
- as a hearty dip for corn chips, or
- add some broth and a can of diced tomatoes and heat it up in a pot for soup (leave out the sour cream for that - and add it as a dollop garnish to each bowl)!
- Serve it in iceberg lettuce "bowls" for a nice presentation.
- Chopped cilantro (if you like it), or parsley
- chipotle sauce or chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for some heat
- lime juice
- different beans (I like those red mexican beans!)
It is packed with protein, fiber and iron, and suitable for vegetarians, vegans (use soy cheese and leave out the sour cream or substitute whipped silken tofu),