Monday, June 18, 2012

Couch to 5k - the beginning

About a year ago, my husband and I decided to do the Couch to 5k program. It's basically a schedule for getting your butt off the couch and running. I used to run in high school (er... two decades ago, eek) and I would like to be in better shape, so it seemed like a great idea.

With lofty ambitions, we headed to the Running Room and bought ourselves some expensive fancy running shoes. And then... we stalled. Between moving three times between two provinces in the last year, and our daughter's busy transition from baby to toddler, we found a lot of excuses NOT to start.

But on Saturday night, we headed out on the trail near our house, with Mia in the Chariot. We're lucky to live right on the edge of Fish Creek Provincial Park (the fourth largest urban park in Canada), and half a minute from our doorstep is a beautiful trail right along the Bow River Valley, with views of the mountains and the Calgary skyline. The other day I was walking there with Mia and saw pheasants, a deer, and a flock of 25 pelicans! Beautiful.

Anyway, we did it. Day One of the Couch to 5k is under our belts. It was easy at first and hard at the end. But I am looking forward to it getting easier and easier.

Now if only it weren't 14 degrees (Celcius) and overcast/rainy today... I think I have to go anyway, and keep it up if I mean to do this, but OH, I hate being cold and wet.


1 comment:

  1. Wow great stuff!!! I am tired even reading this....haha Goo luck!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, why not leave a comment? I'd love to hear what you think. If you're entering a giveaway, be sure to leave your email address if it's not set to public in your profile!