Friday, December 31, 2010

Catching up

My husband and I have spent the week catching up and "recovering" from months apart. I am so glad he's home. We had a quiet Christmas and plan a quiet New Year - perfect.

I confess, I've also been sleeping a lot. The fatigue I experienced in the first trimester has returned for my ninth month in spades. I haven't slept through the night in months, and now the pee breaks are more frequent, I'm too hot, I'm uncomfortable (I long for the day I can sleep on my back or stomach again), and often insomniac too. Ah, the joys of pregnancy. I wouldn't trade it for anything, though. I've been incredibly lucky this time around, passing the tests and not experiencing a lot of the more unpleasant symptoms that can happen. My worst complaint is the discomfort and back pain.

I can hardly believe that in just a few short weeks we'll be meeting our little girl for real. I've spent all these months loving her and feeling her move and hiccup in there, it seems strange to think I haven't really met her yet. I wonder what she looks like, what sort of baby she'll be. I know I will miss the feeling of her moving, it's such a joy. I expect I'll feel empty inside, in a way.

We're nearly ready for her - the nursery needs a few more things, but nothing major. We picked up a stroller on Boxing Day (the Britax B-Ready) and after a problem with the brake not working on the first one we got, the replacement works fine. I need some practice folding and unfolding, though! We have yet to get the car seat, but all we need to do is pick that up from a friend as we're borrowing one (a non-expired, non-crashed one from a very close friend I trust). I haven't packed our hospital bags, but will get on to that soon. We have our big prenatal crash course next weekend, a hospital tour booked, and a prenatal breastfeeding class as well.

Oh, and we need to figure out what to do with the dog when the big day comes... the plan is to labour at home, mostly, head to the hospital for the birth with the midwife, and then come home 3-4 hours after the birth. That's if all goes well. So hopefully it won't be too long away from home. The hospital's only about 10 minutes from home.

Hmm, written out it seems like there is a lot to do yet!

So, I haven't spent much time online or blogging lately. I will have to post a belly photo - tomorrow I'm 35 weeks (amazing, where did the time go??) and I feel big!


  1. positive thoughts for a healthy mom and baby!!

  2. Wow, time flies when you're having fun eh? Mia is nearly 18 months old....


Hey, why not leave a comment? I'd love to hear what you think. If you're entering a giveaway, be sure to leave your email address if it's not set to public in your profile!