Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Tekno Newborn Review!

Looking for a last minute, affordable Christmas gift for a child in your life? I have a great idea for you! 

We had the chance to review a Tekno Newborn Robotic Pet and I'll tell you all about it. These are super cute little robots that come in cat or dog versions, and in different colours. There's even an exclusive black pup available at Toys R Us. You can also pick them up at Walmart, Canadian Tire, London Drugs, and Loblaws, and they retail for about $24.99 (I've even seen them at $20).



We have an almost-six year old girl, and a three and a half year old boy, and we received a pink kitty to review. 

I have to say, it has been a much bigger hit with our daughter. Our son lost interest fairly fast. However, our daughter has been playing with it quite a bit. 

The toy lights up, moves and makes sounds. It is also sensitive to sound, so talking or clapping to it evokes a response, which is pretty cool and interactive.

For movement, it can walk a short way, sit up and beg, and has a special function where if you press a button and then talk to it while holding your hands out, it will actually jump into your hands. Well, it jumps, anyway, and the kids try to catch it! 

Another button switches it to singing mode, and it will sing back to you if you talk or clap to it. It has several different songs that the kids might recognize (all "sung" in meows). 

The box it comes in has a cute cardboard insert that looks like a little room. My kids have pulled out this insert and use it as a home for their kitty. 

Kid pros (provided by my daughter): 
  • she's pink and white
  • she can jump and sing
  • she meows a lot
For the parents:
  • it has an on/off switch - which I like as a parent, because those toys that just randomly start singing when you think they're off creep me out. 
  • the noise of it is not too obnoxious. Many toys have the most irritating sounds; this one is about a medium volume and maybe a 5/10 for annoying, which is not too bad at all for a kids' toy. 
  • it takes two AAA batteries (not included).  
If I have any complaints, it is that within a half an hour of play, one ear had popped off. I'm not sure if that's due to rough play (possible) or an accidental tumble on our hardwood floors. It is easy to pop back on (even my little guy can fix it), but that ear does now have a tendency to fall off, and I can foresee it getting lost. The Krazy Glue may need to come out. For this reason, and of course the attention span factor, I would not recommend it for children under 3 (choking hazard with small pieces). 

I'd say this would be a great gift for the 4-6 year old. Easy to find, a good price, and definitely fun!

Disclosure: I received a product in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own (and my opinionated little girl!).

0 nice people said something:

Post a Comment

Hey, why not leave a comment? I'd love to hear what you think. If you're entering a giveaway, be sure to leave your email address if it's not set to public in your profile!